We are in the process of going greener every day. What does that mean? Being conscious of how to use resources, best possible ways of reducing, reusing, separating and recycling trash, using non-chemical fertilizers and local permaculture techniques in the garden, producing food (fruit, veggies, eggs, chicken) for ourselves and our restaurant service, using different wholesome preserving techniques to make things last, conserving water… We encourage you to help us, especially with the trash – reduce, reuse, recycle and upcycle. If you have more ideas concerning this part, please feel free to share them with us.
Read more about our current steps:
- We switched our commercial cleaning products to a product line based on anaerobe bacteria. It removes dirt, bad bacteria, neutralizes odors and leaves everything squeaking clean from the kitchen and floors to bedrooms and laundry. Ask for products & prices – we sell the following products for your personal needs:
– Multipurpose cleaner / laundry detergent, unscented/scented in different sizes
– Liquid soap to be used for hair- and bodycare with various scents
- Our garden and septic tank are/will be treated with the same kind of bacteria. What does it do there? It neutralizes odors,
e.g. from the chicken coop after rainfalls, the compost, the septic tank and even the dog; it neutralizes spoilt soil if overly sour or otherwise polluted, it fertilizes plants and removes bad bacteria and other pests.
- Our pool will soon be kept clean & green by using a mix of anaerobe bacteria and activated carbon filters.
- We were very blessed to have a permaculture student doing his first permaculture design (out of ten for his master program) here. He made a complete plan of the finca and the entire garden suggesting possible changes and improvements to live by the guidelines permaculture offers. Some of the projects are carried out already others are waiting for the right time, materials, people and resources to be executed.
- Check out our book exchange for information on EM (effective microorganisms) and other gardening books to learn more about possibilities for small scale farming and other related subjects.
- Take a look around on the property and find furniture and other objects built of only or mainly recycled materials like wood, metal and glass and plastic bottles.
Come join us here at Hostal La Finca for a unique volunteer experience.
We are a small hostel (5 rooms, 18 beds) in the sunny part of the beautiful Andes, between Medellin and the colonial town of Santa Fe, Antioquia.
Our facilities include a big pool in a tropical garden, hammock areas, a typical Colombian country house with cozy rooms, wi-fi, bike rental, an open kitchen, bbq area, fire pit & camping area surrounded by fruit trees, stunning views, hot showers, herbal gardens, we have a dog, a cat, chickens and turtles.
We offer free accommodation in a dorm, private room or tent in exchange for about 6 hrs. of work per day (at times it can be more, some days it might be less, depending on guests and projects). Work depends on your abilities and what´s needed on our side. It includes hostel-related tasks in and around the house and the garden (cleaning & organizing rooms and communal areas) picking and processing fruit, herbs and vegetables from our garden, light remodeling work or creative additions to the finca, computer work and maybe some light tour guiding.
Minimum stay is 4 weeks, the first week will be a trial week after which both parties can decide if the agreement will be prolonged for at least another 3 weeks.
You are welcome to use our kitchen to prepare your own food.
In your free time you can take advantage of our facilities, tours & bikes free of charge. Chill by the pool, hang out with guests, go for a hike, explore the close-by waterfalls or one of the surrounding colonial towns, go for a bike ride or grab a yoga mat and do some sunset yoga. Learn how to make cheese, bread and jam & many more useful things with us.
Having an ice cold beer and a chat with the locals at the nearby store while watching the sunset, will make you never forget this authentic Colombian Finca-experience.
As well we are connected to a close-by school which is always looking for English teachers and people willing to get involved. Let us know if you´d be interested in sharing your knowledge with the children and teachers of the community in order to contribute to their future. Depending on your preferences, skills and teaching abilities we´ll find the right project for you.
We will need to know in advance if you´re interested in it and you´d be requiered to hand in your C.V. and introduce yourself to the secretary of education and culture.
Check out the rest of our homepage & Facebook page, look at the pictures and get in touch for more information and answers to your questions.
We are very much looking forward to hear from you and share knowledge and fun times with you.
Laura & Hannes, Alexis & Mathilde
(0057) 310-533-0200 or (0057) 4-860-2570